Companies using IFC today in design, construction and facility management projects
- Construction project of a new factory plant at Audi Ingolstadt --> more about the project (in German)
- Practical experiences in the office m-g-h for engineers and architects --> more about m-g-h
- Practical experiences in the development and use of a digital Building Information Model (BIM) according to IFC standards from the Statsbygg building project of Tromso University College (HITOS), Norway- after completed Full Conceptual Design Phase --> the project report
- Practical experience in using BIM and IFC in various projects in France are published on the IAI France website (in French), e.g. Region Bourgogne, Airbus Toulouse, and College de Vigny.
Initiatives to define data exchange requirements for various processes of a construction project
- The Information Delivery Manual or IDM development that aims to associate business processes with the IFC capabilities that provide specific support to the process.
- The BIM/IFC user guide (IFC Anwenderhandbuch - in German) describing the use of Building Information Models in the area of architecture and building services (including test files)
- The AGC: The Contractors Guide to Building Information Modeling was prepared in large part by contractors who spent time trying to sort out where to start. Their lessons are based on their experiences and were used in developing the guide. Although the process is evolving rapidly, the guide can serve as the basic framework for how to get started.
- The GSA's BIM Guide Series For all major projects (prospectus-level) receiving design funding in Fiscal Year 2007 and beyond, GSA will require spatial program BIMs be the minimum requirements for submission to OCA for Final Concept approvals by the PBS Commissioner and the Chief Architect. At the same time, all GSA projects are encouraged to deploy mature 3D, 4D, and BIM technologies spatial program validation and beyond - at strategic project phases in support of specific project challenges.
- The Danish Digital Construction- in Danish 'Det Digitale Byggeri' - is a united public-private initiative to stimulate digital integration - vertically and horisontally - in the building and construction sector.
- The Finnish government client Senaatti (Senate Properties)have issued "Product Modelleling Requirements 2007" demanding IFC based BIMs from Q3/2007.
Projects defining new requirements for extending and improving IFC
GIS and civil engineering
- The IFC for GIS or IFG project defined an interface between the AEC/FM or building construction world and the geographic information world.
- The completed IAI projects ST-2, ST-3, ST-4 lead to definitions for in-situ concrete design, precast concrete design, structural analysis and steel design in IFC 2x2.
- The completed IAI project ST-5 "Structural Timber Model" defined extensions for design and manufacturing of timber structures. See the project's homepage and deliverables. Proposed extensions are scheduled for inclusion in IFC 2x3G.
- The North-American project ST-6 (homepage), develops a translation between the CIS/2 and IFC metamodels and is contributing to steel detailing related definitions in IFC 2x3 and subsequent IFC releases. Another ongoing project is the Japanese project ST-7, researching IFC for finite elements analysis and dynamics.
- The North-American project ATC-75 on "Development of Industry foundation Classes (IFCs) for Structural Components" looks into improving the data exchange and collaboration for the structural engineering domain. It defined data exchange use cases and exchange requirements and is working with the software vendors in the domain in order to improve the capabilities of IFC exchange for engineering firms. This includes a benchmark test among structural modeling software.
Ontologies and support for multiple languages
- The [IFD library for buildingSMART] is an ontology framework for building and construction related ontologies and dictionaries. The library also contains a mapping from IFC to ontologies within the library. The IFD library will also be used to maintain IFC property sets in multiple languages. IFD is available trough an open WSDL API documented [here].
- As of version [2x3g] IFC can use globally unique identifier (GUID) from IFD. Adding IFD support to IFC only requires two new entries in the IFC model. Guidlines for how to implement support can be found [here].